Posts Tagged system date

S3 command failed if the time is not synced

This is already the second post about the s3sync ruby program. The first article was focused on monitoring s3sync with Zabbix.

I will talk on this one about an error I got when running the S3 synchronisation:

S3 command failed:
list_bucket prefix /data max-keys 200 delimiter /
With result 403 Forbidden
s3sync.rb:290:in `+': can't convert nil into Array (TypeError)
	from s3sync.rb:290:in `s3TreeRecurse'
	from s3sync.rb:346:in `main'
	from ./thread_generator.rb:79:in `call'
	from ./thread_generator.rb:79:in `initialize'
	from ./thread_generator.rb:76:in `new'
	from ./thread_generator.rb:76:in `initialize'
	from s3sync.rb:267:in `new'
	from s3sync.rb:267:in `main'
	from s3sync.rb:735

As you can see, this error is not very human-friendly! 😮 The only thing we know is that the S3 command failed because of the error can't convert nil into Array. It looks to me like an internal error within s3sync…

But after some investigation, it appears it is simply because the system date on the server is not correct. I cannot tell you how much time I spent on this one!  😯

Anyway, if you are doing automatic backups as describe on John Eberly’s blog, you need to add the following code at the top of your script:

# update the system date

NB: please find below the command lines I use to install ntpdate on a Debian server:

apt-get install ntpdate
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

, , , , , , ,